- Schuh, H., Jones, S. R., & Torres, V. (2017). Student services: A handbook for the profession (6th ed.). Jossey-Bass. ISBN: 9781119049593.
REQUIRED READINGS FOR WEEK 1
- Student services: A handbook for the profession, text
- Chapter 1: Historical Oversight of American Higher Education, pg. 1–19
- Chapter 2: The History of Student Affairs, pg. 20–38
- Chapter 3: Philosophies and Values, pg. 39–55
- Gerda, J. J. (2006). Gathering together: A view of the earliest student affairs professional organizations. NASPA Journal, 43(4), 147–163. [Note to writer: PDF attached]
- Marsh, C. S. (1937). The student personnel point of view: A report of a conference on the philosophy and development of student personnel work in college and university. Report by American Council on Education Studies, 1(3), iii–14. [Note to writer: PDF attached]
- American Council on Education (1949). The student personnel point of view. [Note to writer: PDF attached]
- Hevel, M. S. (2016). Toward a history of student affairs: A synthesis of research, 1996-2015. Journal of College Student Development, 57(7), 844–862.
W1 Discussion Question 1: Student Affairs and Me
Post: Reflect upon your own personal values and philosophies and how they relate to or differ from values and philosophy of Student Affairs. Next, in a minimum 300 word initial post, discuss the following:
- Select one of your personal core values/philosophies and explain how it aligns with a specific basic principle, value, or philosophy of Student Affairs. [Note to writer: I am a college professor, and you can use previous background information of mine. Just to give you as an example, I tend to have servant leadership style]
- Identify one personal core value/philosophy that does not seem to match well with the values identified for Student Affairs. [Note to writer: You can come up with something that fits the discussion]
- Discuss how both values discussed might shape your future work in Student Affairs. [Note to writer: Years before I became a professor, I was Director of International Students in a college for few years and I have that experience of student services. I have also worked in Graduate Admissions of a University for two years as a Student Assistant.]
Follow the APA style when citing and referencing your sources!
Do you need urgent help with this or a similar assignment? We got you. Simply place your order and leave the rest to our experts.