To receive credit you must complete the competency assessment. PLEASE read the assessment rubric carefully to ensure that you have completed all competency criteria. If you wish to receive an A, you must carefully review the rubric and complete the required number of mastery criteria. PLEASE NOTE: If you receive a passing (B) grade on a competency assessment, you will not be allowed to resubmit your assessment to improve your grade.
This competency assessment (CA) assesses your level of performance on the specific Outcome(s) that are the focus of this module. The CA requires you to demonstrate your knowledge, understanding, and proficiency of the Outcome(s). Be sure to use the other activities in this module prior to attempting the CA. You can attempt the CA multiple times within the term. However, the CA must be completed successfully by the end of the term to earn credit. Refer to your Syllabus for additional information regarding the number of attempts permitted.
Be sure to review the Competency Assessment Rubric to understand the criteria on which you will be evaluated.
Instructors will provide feedback on the CA after each submission. If you expect to receive feedback, revise, and resubmit this CA near the end of the term, be sure to follow the guidelines and deadlines for submission in your Syllabus.
Please refer to your syllabus for additional competency assessment requirements.
You may contact your instructor if you have any questions.
Product and Place (Distribution)
This competency assessment assesses the following Outcome(s):
MT219M4-4: Apply product and place Marketing Mix elements to a product or service.
GEL-6.02: Incorporate outside research into an original work appropriately.
Product and place are two of the four marketing mix components that are uniquely configured for a product or service to satisfy customer needs and/or wants.
Your task is the following: Based on the reading in the text and the learning activities regarding the marketing mix, select one of the provided products or services and answer the checklist items in a thorough manner.
Step 1: Select one of the following products for this assessment for the fictional company Prodserve, Corp.
-A new cool mist humidifier that reduces dry air and also serves as an air freshener. Presently, the scents come in mint, apple and spice, and cinnamon.
-A new toothbrush that dispenses toothpaste automatically into the toothbrush with a small button on the handle. The toothpaste comes in a variety of flavors, including cinnamon, peppermint, spearmint, and bubble gum.
-A new wireless headphone and microphone that fit in the palm of your hand and have superior output and volume.
-A new foldable chair that can be carried in one hand and holds up to 300 pounds.
-A new transcription tool with 98% accuracy.
Step 2: Apply product elements to make this product complete by thoroughly describing them.
- Describe the type of product you selected and include product attributes like quality, features, benefits, style, and design.
- Provide a proposed product line (depth) and product mix (the 4 P’s; width) for your good. See Exhibit 10.1 in the text.
- Describe the elements of the product’s branding (i.e., brand name, sponsor, and brand strategy).
- Provide a packaging plan and any warranty or copyright involved if applicable.
Step 3: Assume Prodserve’s new product you selected used a direct channel of distribution (i.e., producer sells directly to the consumer via their website) to sell their products to their customers. They are now considering using intermediaries like agents, wholesalers, and retailers to get their products to their customers.
- Discuss at least two (2) different distribution models available for getting the product from the producer to the consumer.
- Using scholarly research, explain the advantages and disadvantages of using intermediaries. Provide 2–3 direct quotes and/or paraphrases from your research, incorporating them into your paper where appropriate in support of your contentions using APA 7th edition in-text citation style. Make sure to add an additional reference page that includes a reference for each article you cited in current APA format.
- Considering factors like your brand and target audience, explain what type of retailers would be the best match for your new product and why.
- Provide at least one distribution model that would be most effective for the Proservice’s new product. Explain why it would be most effective.
- Provide an original minimum 3-page paper or a minimum of 700 words to address steps 1–3, with additional title and reference pages using current APA format and citation style.
Submit your paper to the assessment Dropbox.
Disclaimer: This exercise may include actual companies and brand names solely for instructional purposes; this exercise is not associated with any such actual company or brand name. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners.
Minimum Submission Requirements
- Proper notification of any resubmission, repurposing, or reworking of prior work per the Purdue Global Student Coursework Resubmission, Repurposing, and Reworking Policy Resource.
- Your assessment response should be the required number of pages as specified, in a Microsoft Word document, with an additional title page and reference page using current APA format.
- Respond to all of the checklist items in a thorough and highly organized, logical, and focused manner using Standard English and demonstrate exceptional content, organization, style, and grammar, and mechanics.
- Your Assessment response should comply with all instructions provided.
- Your paper should provide a clearly established and sustained viewpoint and purpose.
- Your writing should be well ordered, logical and unified, as well as original and insightful.
- Be sure to cite both in-text and reference list citations where appropriate and reference all sources using proper current APA citation style.
If the work submitted for this competency assessment does not meet the minimum submission requirements, it will be returned for revision. If the work submitted does not meet the minimum submission requirements by the end of the term, you will receive a failing score.
Plagiarism is an act of academic dishonesty. It violates the University’s Code of Student Conduct, and the offense is subject to disciplinary action. You are expected to be the sole author of your work. Use of another person’s work or ideas must be accompanied by specific citations and references. Whether the action is intentional or not, it still constitutes plagiarism.
For more information on plagiarism and the University’s Code of Student Conduct, refer to the current University Catalog.
Directions for Submitting Your Competency Assessment
Before you submit your completed Word document for this competency assessment, you should save your work on your computer in a location and with a name that you will remember. Make sure your assessment is in the appropriate format. Then, when you are ready, you may submit to the competency assessment Dropbox.
Do you need urgent help with this or a similar assignment? We got you. Simply place your order and leave the rest to our experts.