Background: You will write a 250-500 word report discussing a current news topic in microbiology. You can look in newspapers, news websites/apps, scientific journals, etc for articles. It should be from a credible source (i.e. i.e. CNN.com, FDA.gov, CDC.gov, sciencemag.org, nature.com, etc). The article MUST be cited and included as a reference in the report. Follow the directions and guidelines below.
Basic Report Guidelines
- The report should be typed, 12 point font and double spaced.
- Spelling and grammar count and points will be taken off.
- The main body of the report must be written in the 3rd person, though you may write in 1st person in the Discussion section. See below for further explanation.
- Make sure you cite all your references and do not copy and paste from the internet.
- NO WIKIPEDIA!!!! Only credible websites may be used. If you are unsure, ASK YOUR Instructor BEFORE you start writing your report.
- Add pages numbers to the main body of the report.
- Include your word count on the Title page.
- Reports will be uploaded on Canvas. No hard-copies.
- You MUST do your OWN work. Do NOT plagiarize material for this report. If you are found to have plagiarized, you will be punished to the fullest extent of HCC policy as described in their handbook.
This course utilizes TurnItIn. TurnItIn is an anti-plagiarism program integrated into Canvas. TurnItIn compares your paper to a wide range of sources, including Internet and all other papers submitted though HCC. A detailed report will be provided to your Instructor showing any sources that have high degrees of similarity (i.e. have been plagiarized). Your assignment WILL NOT BE GRADED unless it has been uploaded onto TurnItIn by the beginning of the class period. Failure to upload your assignment onto TurnItIn will result in a 0 for the assignment. If you have any issues, questions or concerns, discuss with your Instructor PRIOR to uploading your Research Project onto Canvas/TurnItIn.
Title Page (5 pts)
- Develop a title for the report
- Name, date, course # and word count
Main Body of Report (50 pts)
- Briefly discuss the topic you picked and how it applies to Biology.
- This should be 1-2 paragraphs
- Make sure you cite the article and any other references you used!
Discussion (30 pts)
- In this section, you may discuss some or all of the following:
- the implications of the topic, in general (ethical, political, etc)
- future directions of the topic (new therapies, further research to be done, etc)
- your opinion on the topic
- reason you chose it (it’s the field you want to peruse, it’s a hobby, found it on Google, never heard of it and wanted to learn more about it, etc)
- any personal connections to the story (my brother has autism, I have diabetes, etc)
- You may write in 1st person in this section.
- It should be at least 1 paragraph
References (15 pts)
- References should be on their own, individual page separate from the rest of the report
- You must include the original article as a reference and any other sources you used
- You may only use credible sources (i.e. CNN.com, FDA.gov, CDC.gov, journals, etc)
- You may use any citation style you like (MLA, etc) – just be consistent throughout the paper
- Journal article/textbook:
- Wakefield AJ, Murch SH, Anthony A, Linnell, Casson DM, Malik M, et al. Ileal lymphoid nodular hyperplasia, non-specific colitis, and pervasive developmental disorder in children. Lancet. 1998; 351:637-41.
- Carson, V. (2019, July 7). The Fun Fascinating World of Microbiology. Retrieved from http://www.usf.edu/vcarson.html
Do you need urgent help with this or a similar assignment? Say no more, we have just the experts you need to help you. Place your order.