In this module, you will complete Project Two by using the provided Project Two Template.
Submit your assignment here. Make sure you’ve included all the required elements by reviewing the Project Two Guidelines and Rubric.
In this project, you will demonstrate your mastery of the following competencies:
- Describe various diagnoses of psychological disorders
- Explain the contributions and limitations of various methods of assessment of psychological conditions
- Compare various treatment approaches
With graduation on the near horizon, Jamal is excited about completing his psychology degree. He is anticipating a highlight of his academic journey; the Psychology Department has asked Jamal and a few of his peers to engage in a panel presentation that will spotlight their knowledge on a topic relevant to abnormal psychology. Jamal is honored to have been asked to participate in the presentation and hopes to use this opportunity to add some valuable artifacts to his career ePortfolio.
As Jamal prepares the content of his presentation, he considers the role of research and practice in mental health. Likewise, Jamal considers the various biomedical and psychological approaches to treating psychological disorders, including the ethical factors that impact treatment. In addition, he considers the ways in which social support can promote education and awareness about psychological disorders. Lastly, Jamal considers the many ways in which we can enhance compassion and empathy for people who struggle with psychological disorders and perhaps help to humanize (and normalize) aspects of abnormal behavior.
For this project, you will be presenting along with Jamal and must create a presentation that includes speaker notes. Your Module Five Milestone, along with your reading assignments, will support you in developing your speaker notes.
Module Five Milestone: Refer to your milestone and milestone feedback before completing your project.
Reading: FAQ: How Can I Make an Effective PowerPoint Presentation? This Shapiro Library FAQ resource provides simple tips for creating an effective PowerPoint presentation.
Project Two Template: You may use this PowerPoint template to create your presentation for Project Two.
Psychology Research Guide: This resource was created to help you find psychology related content.
Textbook: Abnormal Psychology, “DSM-5 Quick Guide” begins on p. XV: This resource outlines the various psychological topics that you have encountered in this course.
Purdue OWL: This resource is provided to assist you with referencing resources according to APA standards.
Select a psychological disorder that you’ve examined in this course and that interests you. You may use Google Slides or PowerPoint to complete your presentation and speaker notes. Support your answers with credible sources when appropriate and address the rubric criteria listed below in your slides. Include 50 to 100 words to describe each slide (excluding transition slides) in the speaker notes. Remember to access the Shapiro Library FAQ resource linked in Supporting Materials for guidelines to making an effective PowerPoint presentation.
- Introduce a psychological disorder that is of interest to you.
- Discuss the biological, psychological, and/or social relevance of examining this disorder.
- Provide a brief overview of the clinical attributes of this disorder (e.g., diagnostic features, prevalence rates, biopsychosocial impacts).
- Provide a brief overview of the points that you will address in your presentation. Consider using the belowfollowing subject headings to structure your presentation. Get your audience excited about your topic!
- As suggested in the Shapiro Library FAQ resource linked in Supporting Materials, use the following tips in creating your presentation:
- Plan ahead
- Be consistent
- Keep it simple
- Keep it short
- Complement your content
Part One: Biopsychosocial Considerations
- Discuss the biological (e.g., neuroanatomical, neuroendocrine) correlates of the disorder.
- Discuss the psychological (e.g., cognitive, affective) correlates of the disorder.
- Discuss the social (e.g., interpersonal) correlates of the disorder.
- Explain the implications of cultural variation on the assessment of the disorder.
- Explain the implications of cultural variation on the treatment of the disorder.
- Discuss the role of the community in promoting access to treatment for the disorder.
Part Two: Diagnostic/Evaluative Considerations
- Explain the strengths and limitations of the clinical assessments designed to evaluate the disorder.
- Discuss challenges related to reliability and validity in the assessment of the disorder.
- Explain the concept of diagnosis by exclusion, using the selected disorder as an example.
- Articulate how assessments contribute to diagnosis by exclusion.
- Explain the relationship between the publication process of the DSM, the contribution of research in mental health, and the practice of clinicians.
Part Three: Therapeutic Considerations
- Explain the strengths and limitations of various therapeutic approaches designed to treat the disorder.
- Discuss the relevance of non-pharmacological (e.g., complementary/alternative) approaches in the treatment of the disorder.
- Discuss the balance between “do no harm” and duty to treat.
- Summarize the most relevant takeaways of your presentation.
- Discuss the attributes of the disorder (e.g., biopsychosocial, diagnostic, therapeutic) that you want your audience to remember most.
- In what ways does the information you’ve shared enhance what we know about the disorder?
- In what ways does the content that you’ve shared contribute to our biological, psychological, and/or social well-being?
What to Submit
To complete this project, you must submit the following:
A Google Slides or PowerPoint presentation reflecting the Shapiro Library FAQ: How Can I Make an Effective PowerPoint Presentation? Be sure to include 50 to 100 words of relevant speaker’s notes for each slide. There should be a minimum of 21 slides, with sources cited according to APA style.
Do you need urgent help with this or a similar assignment? Say no more, we have just the experts you need to help you. Place your order.