Unit 6 Discussion 1 Course readings for discussion
Mental Health Considerations in the Assessment Process
Use The Substance-Related Disorder Assessment: A Roadmap to Effective Treatment Planning to read the following:
- Review Chapter 5, “Comprehensive Assessment,” pages 53–62.
Use the Capella Library to read the following:
- Borsari, B., Apodaca, T. R., Yurasek, A., & Monti, P. M. (2017). Does mental status impact therapist and patient communication in emergency department brief interventions addressing alcohol use? Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment, 73, 1–8.
- Drymalski, W. M., & Nunley, M. R. (2016). The use of the addiction severity index psychiatric composite scores to predict psychiatric inpatient admissions. Journal of Addictions Nursing, 27(3), 190–196.
- Lundgren, L., Wilkey, C., Chassler, D., Sandlund, M., Armelius, B., Armelius, K., & Brännström, J. (2014). Integrating addiction and mental health treatment within a national addiction treatment system: Using multiple statistical methods to analyze client and interviewer assessment of co-occurring mental health problems. Nordic Studies on Alcohol and Drugs, 31(1), 59–79.
Use the Internet to complete the following:
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. (n.d.). Screening tools. https://www.integration.samhsa.gov/clinical-practice/screening-tools
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. (2017). Treatments for mental disorders. https://www.samhsa.gov/treatment/mental-disorders
Mental Health Considerations in the Assessment Process Discussion 1
Assessments that are designed to accurately diagnose the presence of substance use disorders must also consider the client’s mental health in order to develop the most appropriate treatment plan. There are additional assessment tools that provide supplemental information about the client’s mental health and can be added to the main substance abuse assessment.
For this discussion, locate a screening or assessment tool that measures current mental health symptoms that can be added as supplemental information to the primary assessment. Discuss the instrument and provide the following:
- Name of instrument.
- Why did you choose the instrument?
- What information is collected from the client when using this information?
- How will this instrument compliment the primary assessment for substance use disorders
Do you need urgent help with this or a similar assignment? We got you. Simply place your order and leave the rest to our experts.