This course explores the impact of inter-professional collaboration and communication on patient outcomes. Students will investigate barriers that exist within and between disciplines that can obstruct a team-based care system. An emphasis is placed on methods and actions to foster a collaborative approach in clinical settings in order to jointly make decisions, coordinate patient treatment, combine resources, and develop common goals which may result in improved healthcare outcomes.
Course Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate evidence of accountability, ethical values, moral standards, and legal conducts which impact the professional roles of nursing. (PLO 3, 8)
- Collaborate with interdisciplinary team to implement quality initiatives for patient safety and performance measures. (PLO 5, 6)
- Integrate utilization of research findings, evidence-based and information technology to improve or change nursing practice in the delivery of safe and effective patient care.(PLO 1, 3, 7, 9)
- Describe current research and evidence supporting the benefit of collaboration across organizations in optimizing patient outcomes.(PLO 3, 7, 9)
- Demonstrate the role of patient advocate affecting healthcare policies and reducing health disparities to improve the quality of care for diverse populations.(PLO 2, 4, 5, 6)
- Implement effective leadership and communication skills in promoting personal and global health programs. (PLO 6, 8, 9)
- Identify key stakeholders and define their role in leading, fostering, and sustaining a collaborative culture (PLO 1, 3, 6, 9)
- Identify standards for effective teamwork and collaboration in the healthcare environment (PLO 3, 5, 6, 8)
This course is designed to introduce the registered nurse student to concepts inherent in baccalaureate nursing education. The philosophy, conceptual framework, program purpose and objectives will be discussed. Emphasis will be placed on the nursing process, as well as knowledge and skills that bridge prior learning experiences with current professional nursing practice.
Welcome to Week 8
“Quality medical decision making requires that clinicians and patients incorporate the best available clinical evidence with patients’ values and preferences to develop a mutually agreed upon treatment plan. The interactive process involved in medical decision making is complex and requires patients and clinicians to use both cognitive and communicative skills to reach a shared understanding of the decision” (Politi & Street, 2011, para 1).
ASSIGNMENT: Discuss at least three key concepts you have learned in this course. Use examples to discuss which communication practices you plan to implement in your future professional nursing career.
STUDY MATERIAL: What is interprofessional collaborative practice 1/7
Do you need urgent help with this or a similar assignment? We got you. Simply place your order and leave the rest to our experts.