This course focuses on the fundamentals of an evidence-based approach to examining a range of cultural norms, religions, and alternative health care practices of varied racial and ethnic groups, and how these practices affect the definition, design and implementation of culturally competent, individualized health care. Variations in race, ethnic, age and gender groups, family structure and patient support will be explored. Emphasis will be placed on summarizing intercultural aspects and how the multicultural professional nursing workforce can collaborate to assess, plan, and manage care according to the cultural and spiritual needs of individual patients and populations.
Course Learning Outcomes
By the end of this course, students should be able to:
- Identify and contextualize the factors that constitute their personal culture, beliefs, and upbringing to understand how those factors influence interactions with patients and the environment. (PLO 2)
- Discuss variations in cultural, and religious backgrounds and practices of patients and families, and their effect on compliance with treatment. (PLO 3, 7, 9)
- Analyze alternative healthcare practices and the effect they have on the provision of patient centered care. (PLO 3, 7, 9)
- Synthesize aspects of knowledge and communication principles pertinent to the intercultural aspects of patient care, and manage care according to the cultural and spiritual needs of individual patients. (PLO 2, 4, 5, 6)
- Evaluation of knowledge of the impact between morals and ethics and how they direct patient and provider choices for treatment across the lifespan. (PLO 2, 8, 9)
Welcome to Week 7
This week you will present a detailed look at your chosen cultural group. This assignment will provide you the opportunity to put all that you have learned from this course together in one place. Sharing your knowledge and understanding with your peers will provide everyone with a view into another facet of cultural diversity. Enjoy your research into your chosen group.
Cultural Group Chosen: CHINESE
Create a narrated PowerPoint presentation that includes:
- Overview of the culture (history, geography, language, religious beliefs)
- Educational status and occupations
- Family roles and organization-head of household and gender roles, and prescriptive, restrictive and taboo behaviors for children and adolescents
- Family goals and priorities
- Nutrition-common foods, any rituals, any special meaning that food has, dietary practices for health promotion, nutritional deficiencies
- Birth and Death rituals
- Health care practices, beliefs and behaviors, and folk and traditional practices, barriers to health, blood transfusions and organ donation, Health care providers
- Disease and health conditions – any variation in drug metabolism, high risk behaviors
- Summary of culture that includes how as a nurse you would approach the culture if caring for a patient from the culture.
- Length: 10-15 minutes
- Title and Reference pages
- Format: PowerPoint with voice over 8-12 slides (not including reference and title pages)
- Intext citations & References: at least 5 References (credible and current within last 5 years) APA 7TH edition
Please include some pictures/visual aids in the presentation. I ordered 6 references, but you may add more as needed.
Do you need urgent help with this or a similar assignment? Say no more, we have just the experts you need to help you. Place your order.