Assignment 7: (100 points)
Part 1: Coastal Upwelling (50 points)
This section takes you through the role atmospheric surface winds play on ocean currents. Plotted below are climatological vectors of July winds. These vectors indicate not only wind direction, but also wind speed with the length of the vectors. This section is probably easiest to do by hand and then scan a photo in for submission.
- At each grid point, use the provided wind vectors to draw an arrow (→) that indicates the ocean surface current following the concept of the Ekman Spiral/Transport.
- At each grid point, use the provided wind vectors to draw an arrow (→) that indicates the net water movement through the top layer of the ocean following the concept of the Ekman Spiral/Transport.
- Indicate where you’d expect to have greater sea level height, by marking the map with an “H”
Draw circles on the map where you would find coastal upwelling
Do the coastal upwelling and High-Pressure systems impact sea level rising? Explain your thoughts.
Part 2: Correlations (50 points)
Using Climate Reanalyzer you will create a composite plotting the indicated correlations. Correlation analysis uses Pearson’s correlation values. You can find the explanation for this type of correlation here: https://www.statisticssolutions.com/free-resources/directory-of-statistical-analyses/pearsons-correlation-coefficient/.
Step 1: Choose your time: annual, DJF(December, January, February), MAM, JJA, or SON.
Step 2: Choose your region (Global, North Hemisphere, Artic, Europe, United States … whatever you want – Since you can find Sea-Ice coverage on it!)
Step 3: Plot a time series of Ice concentration (https://climatereanalyzer.org/reanalysis/monthly_tseries/)
Step 4: Using monthly Reanalysis Correlations (https://climatereanalyzer.org/reanalysis/monthly_correl/) plot a Correlation Map for each relationship:
- 2m temperature x Sea Ice Concentration
- Precipitation x Sea Ice Concentration
- Mean Sea Level Pressure x Sea Ice Concentration
Step 5: Compare your plotting and explore/interpret your results: a positive (or negative) correlation? A strong (or a weak one)? Do they all show the same correlation values?
Remember: Choose the same period and region for your timeseries (1) and the composites (3). You will create 4 images with reanalyzer.
What to Turn In:
- Two diagrams from the Ocean Upwelling section
- Your composites and interpretation.
Do you need urgent help with this or a similar assignment? Say no more, we have just the experts you need to help you. Place your order.