Grading Category: Assignments
Legal Case assignment
In this assignment you are required to complete only one case study from the four case studies listed on the Moodle Board. Cases are based on your Nurse Practitioner track, to select the appropriate case follow the instructions below.
- If you are a Pedi student you MUST complete the Pedi Case
- If you are an Adult/Geri student you MUST complete the Adult/Geri Case
- If you are a Psych/Mental Health student you MUST complete the Psych/Mental Health Case
- If you are a Women’s Health student you MUST complete the WH case
- If you are a Family student you MUST complete EITHER the Family OR Adult/Geri OR Pedi Case (please choose one and note it on your cover page)
Purpose: The purpose of this paper is to foster your synthesis of course content relevant to medical liability concepts. You should review the applicable documents on the Moodle board for important background information including the video presented by Attorney Jennifer DeFronzo.
Attorney DeFronzo’s Video link
Click https://vimeo.com/159997994/1ee5868957 link to open resource.
Process: A rubric is provided to assist in communicating the expectations for this assignment. The four questions within each case study are designed to direct the focus of your paper. It is expected that the paper will be referenced where appropriate, especially in the discussion about standard of care.
Remember to use APA format, including cover sheet, and a reference list.
The paper should be about 3-5 pages in length.
Search your BON to see if there are statutes or regulations related to vulnerable populations. Some examples include use of restraint laws, enhancing the disclosure of unanticipated outcomes (also known as apology laws), caring for clients with mental health issues or incarcerated individuals, pregnant women, emancipated minors or children, and section 12, to name a few.
- Buppert, C. (2018). Nurse practitioner’s business practice and legal guide (6th ed.). Jones and Bartlett Publishers.
- Chapter 7: Negligence and Malpractice
- Chapter 8: Risk Management
- Joel, L. A. (2018). Advanced practice nursing: Essentials for role development (4th ed). F.A. Davis Company.
- Chapter 29: Malpractice and the Advanced Practice Nurse (Risk Reduction Strategies section only).
- Chapter 30: Ethics and the Advanced Practice Nurse
A recent BORN Advisory Ruling provides guidance in promoting effective disclosure of unanticipated outcomes to patients and their families by APRN. Please review an example of Massachusetts BON Advisory Ruling on Nursing Practice (PDF).
- Legal Communication and Termination of a Patient (PPT)
- Conflict Resolution Using the Interest-Based Relational Approach
- Communication Skills
- States with Apology Laws (PDF). Please review to determine if the state where you plan to practice as an APRN has an apology law. If so, please obtain the ruling cited and review.
- Federal Tort Claims Act (FTCA) and Malpractice
- Telehealth and Legal Implications for Nurse Practitioners (2018) (PDF)
Do you need urgent help with this or a similar assignment? Say no more, we have just the experts you need to help you. Place your order.